Skip to content
Preparing for IATEFL 2017? First-time at the conference? Here are some tips to help you enjoy it and benefit as much as you can!
What to pack
- Plugs, adaptors, chargers, etc.
- Smart(ish) clothes (but warm & comfortable!)
- Comfortable shoes
- Drinks bottle
- Money (cards – inform your bank you’ll be abroad)
- Paper, pens, clipboard
- Tablet / laptop
- Space in suitcase for freebies!
- Read the programme in advance. You can download it here.
- Get the app – here.
- Choose talks to attend, inc. Plenaries
- Use abbreviation codes to help
- Look out for ‘big names’
- Pick alternatives (esp. if limited audience)
- Talk about choices (share notes!)
- Don’t try to attend all sessions!!!
- Try something new
- Pick your interests / set goal
- Attend or watch the recordings of how to” webinars & sessions – here.
- In advance:
- Join IATEFL Facebook group – here.
- Follow @iatefl on Twitter – here.
- Look for SIGs on Facebook / Twitter
- Join in discussions, etc.
- At conference: meet online contacts
- Chat / socialise after sessions
- Ask questions, maintain discussions
- Join evening events
- After the conference:
- Catch up online
- Keep up contacts – form your PLN
- Make a note of who people are / your connection
Make the most of it
- Pace yourself – Leave time to reflect, digest, sleep!
- Look after yourself – Eat healthly, drink enough water, get fresh air.
- Take notes on what presenters say – You can get slides later.
- Catch up on sessions you missed at IATEFL Online – here.
- Remember: You are valuable members of IATEFL.