GUEST POST BY WOLFGANG, DAVID & CHRISTINA (My trainee-teacher students).
If you like this lesson idea, please leave a comment, share, or ‘like’ the post using the buttons below! You can help Christina, David & Wolfgang win a prize 🙂
CONTEXT: World Cup 2014
Show the picture and ask learners to brainstorm what they know about the World Cup – vocabulary, facts, etc.
Write the following sentence (which will probably refer to one of the facts they have brainstormed!) on the board, using the colour coding:
If Germany had lost the final, Argentina would have won the World Cup.
Ask concept check questions for clarification: When was the final of the World Cup? Who played? Who won? Can it be changed now?
Ask learners to identify verb forms that they recognise (e.g. past perfect, past participles). Then write the grammatical structure of the sentence on the board as well – using the same colour coding as above:
If + past perfect , would have + past participle
And show how the answers to the concept check questions highlight the function of the grammatical form:
- Past situations
- Not possible anymore, can no longer be changed
Use the following fill-in-the-blanks exercise as controlled practice. (Add colour coding for extra help for the learners, if required)
- If Neymar_____________ (not injured), he__________________ (play) in the semi-finals.
- If the temperatures in Brazil________________ (not that high), the players___________________ (have more energy).
- There_________________(be) a big party in Rio, if Brazil_____________(win) the final.
- If Mario Götze_________________(not be sent) onto the pitch, he __________________(not score) the winning goal.
As a productive task, give the following instructions (this can be done in class orally or as homework in writing).
Imagine you had been a player on the German team, what would you have done to help Germany win the World Cup? (Write at least five sentences using the new grammar form. (You can use the examples in the box for help)
|– Run faster- Defend
– Score more goals
– Train longer
|– Play against Brazil- Be sent onto the pitch in the second half